I first tried Bibimbap one night with my friends when we were all looking for late night eats. I've never heard of it before, but it is a really popular traditional Korean rice dish. It usually comes with sautéed meat, fried egg, vegetables and chili paste over rice. I love how the bowl came almost sizzling, which made the rice on the bottom of the clay bowl almost crispy. You also feel like you're playing with your food when you break the egg yolk straight into the rice and mix it around, cooking it a little bit in the hot bowl. Even though the one I had that night had beef, I decided to make a Vegetarian Bibimbap. Sourcing all the ingredients were easy, but it is a lot of individual sides. I made a lot of sides to give you options, but choose the ones you like to make the recipe easier.
Author: My Healthy Dish
Recipe type: Vegetarian
- 1 container firm tofu
- 1 cup un-cooked brown rice
- 4 cups spinach
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (shiitake if you can find it)
- 1 cup been sprouts
- ½ cup sliced cucumber
- 1 zuchhini
- ½ cup julienne carrots
- 1 cup kimchi
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. avocado oil
- 3 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1½ tbsp. rice wine vinegar (or distilled vinegar)
- 1 tbsp. Gochujang (korean chili pepper paste)
- 1 tbsp. sweet chili sauce
- Step 1: Cut tofu into 5 equal sections and soak up excess water paper towels. Heat 2 tbsp. avocado oil to medium heat in large pan and cook tofu 5-7 minutes on each side or until crispy golden brown. Remove from pan, soak excess oil with paper towel. Allow to cool and cut into cubes. Mix with chili paste, sweet chili sauce and ½ tsp. salt.
- Step 2: Cook Brown Rice, follow cooking instructions on bag.
- Step 3: In small bowl add cucumber, ½ tbsp. sesame oil, vinegar and pinch of salt. Let pickle for at least 15 minutes.
- Step 4: In small sauce pan heat ½ tbsp. sesame oil to medium low heat and add been sprouts and a pinch of salt. Cook until wilted down. About 2-3 minutes.
- Step 5: Remove cooked sprouts from sauce pan add 1 cup water, bring to simmer and add sliced zucchini. Simmer for 5-7 minutes or until zucchini is soft.
- Step 6: Remove cooked zucchini, drain and add 1 tbsp. sesame oil, bring to medium low heat and add 1 tsp. minced garlic and spinach.
- Step 7: Cook mushrooms in ½ tbsp. sesame oil, 1 tsp. soy sauce.
- Step 7: Fry eggs in remaining oil to your preference
- Step 8: Plate by putting a scoop of rice on the bottom with soy sauce, add veggies of your choice, tofu and top with fried egg.