Recently I’ve been making more plant base high protein recipes and my Vegan Asian Wraps were my favorite so far! I even had two thumbs up from my husband who is a carnivore. I made my Vegan Asian Wraps numerous times for friends and family during parties as well. It brings a lot of vibrant color to your table and acts as part decoration as well!
I used purple cabbage, but you can also use butter lettuce as your wrap. Just remember to double up on the lettuce because it’s not as sturdy as the cabbage.
How to eat my Vegan Asian Wraps is simple. Fold both ends of the cabbage leaf until it fully closes. Then dip in peanut sauce and enjoy!
- 1 head of purple cabbage
- 1 container of firm tofu 14oz (drained and dried)
- 1 cup sliced shitake mushrooms
- ⅔ cup chopped carrots
- ⅓ cup chopped onions
- ⅓ cup sliced green onions
- ¼ cup chopped basil (optional)
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- ½ tbsp. ginger paste
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp. olive oil or sesame seed oil
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. peanut butter
- 2 tbsp. almond or coconut milk
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds (garnish, optional)
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Slice tofu in 5 equal sections and pat dry with paper towel or kitchen towel.
- In large cast iron skillet heat coconut oil to medium and fry tofu segments for 5-8 minutes on both sides or until reached desired crispy texture. Remove and place on paper towel to soak up excess oil. Allow to cool and roughly chop to add later in your stir fry.
- In large non-stick pan heat up 1 tbsp. olive oil to medium low and add garlic. Cook 1 minute and then add your onions. Stirring and cooking for another 2 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add Mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes then your grated ginger for another 30 seconds to a minute. Then add 1 tbsp. hoisin sauce, 1 tbsp. soy sauce, 1 tsp. maple syrup and your chopped tofu ,green onions and basil. Cook and mix for another 2-3 minutes and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- In one cabbage leaf soup about 2-3oz of mixture in and sprinkle with sesame seeds. For dipping sauce whisk together 2 tbsp. peanut butter, 2 tbsp. hoisin sauce and 2 tbsp. almond milk.