The secret ingredient to my Healthy Mac and Cheese is butternut squash. The challenge for me was keeping the creamy texture, but cutting out most of the fat. I accomplished this by swapping out the butter, milk and half the cheese with butternut squash. This recipe for my Healthy Mac and Cheese has only 4 ingredients. If you’re like me and have a child that is a picky eater, try this healthier version of Mac & Cheese. Not only is my Healthy Mac and Cheese kid approved, it’s also gluten free because I use brown rice penne pasta.
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 ½ cups light shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 8oz un-cooked brown rice penne pasta
- In 2 separate large pots, bring to boil water. In first pot add un-cooked pasta, stirring occasionally for about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and drain pasta. In second pot add butternut squash and also boil for 8-10 minutes. Drain most of water leaving about a ½ cup. In blender or food processor blend butternut squash with the ½ cup of remaining boiled water until a smooth consistency. In large cooking tray, mix in pasta, butternut squash and cheddar cheese. Top with Parmesan cheese and bake in oven at 375˚ F for 15 minutes.