It’s that time of year again for fall recipes, and nothing says fall more than my Butternut Squash Soup with Spiced Chickpeas. Everything from the roasting, to the fragrant smells, to the color of the dish just defines fall at its best. On top of this being a cozy dish to keep you warm on those brisk days, this soup also is loaded with health benefits, and since I added chickpeas, you’re getting even more nutrition with each bite.
All the flavors and fragrance of fall
My Butternut Squash Soup with Spiced Chickpeas requires some work to make, but believe me, every step is worth it in the end. First, you have to roast the butternut squash. After that’s done, peel it and chop it up. This may seem intimidating at first, but once you do it, you’ll know how to do it for life! Then, you build your soup base with butter, onion, garlic, and sage. Your home will already smell like fall with the roasted squash, but once you start this mixture in the pan, you’ll love the fragrance of the sage.
Building the soup
To continue building the soup, add water, maple syrup, salt and pepper, and chicken bullion base. I’ve been loving the Better than Bullion Chicken Organic Chicken Base (affiliate link), and use it in so many recipes (like my Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup). Now, here comes the fun part: add the butternut squash, then SQUASH it all! I used a hand immersion blender, which makes it fun and satisfying to squash all the squash, but you can also add everything to a blender.
Packed with Vitamin A and Protein
My Butternut Squash Soup with Spiced Chickpeas will turn out smooth and delicious, but the best part is how nutritious it is. This is already packed with Vitamin A for healthy eyes, but I wanted to make sure you get some protein in it too, so I topped it with spicy chickpeas. This adds some texture to the dish and protein for those muscles! I served it up with a dollop of sour cream and crispy bread for dipping. You’ll appreciate how much you love the fall season with every bite of this savory soup.
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 onion
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 3 tbsp. butter or Olive oil for vegetarian option
- 2 tbsp. Better Than Bullion Base or 2 bullion cubes or 2 liters of chicken stock or 2 liters of water for Vegetarian option.
- 3 tbsp. maple syrup
- ½ tbsp. salt
- ½ tbsp. black pepper
- 3oz of sage leaves
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- Boil whole Butternut Squash for 15 minutes to soften enough to peel and section into cubes.
- Or Bake for 30 minutes at 375˚F.
- Let cool and then peel outside skin with a sharp knife.
- Remove seeds and cut into large cubes.
- Chopp onions and garlic.
- In a large pot, heat butter to medium heat and add onions and garlic.
- Cook and gently stir occasionally for 5 minutes and add 5 sage leaves and cubed butternut squash.
- Cook for another 5 minutes and water and Better than Bullion, salt and pepper.
- Cover with lid and bring down to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add maple syrup and blend until smooth.
- While the soup is cooking start on your Spiced Chickpeas.
- In small pan heat up 1 tsp. olive oil to medium heat and add chickpeas, paprika and garlic powder. Cook for 5 minutes and set aside.
- Pour a serving of soup in small bowls, top with chickpeas and garnish with a fresh slice of sage. Serve with toasted whole wheat French Bread.