If you loved that chicken from Popeyes, but you’re not into chicken anymore, then this Vegan Popeyes Chicken Sandwich will fulfill that fast food craving in the comfort of your own home. From just one look, you might think it’s chicken, but the secret to making this sandwich is switching out the meat for mushrooms.
Prepping the “Chicken”
Just look look at the “chicken” pieces that I made for this Vegan Popeyes Chicken Sandwich. Underneath that crispy crunchy batter is oyster mushrooms. These mushrooms make the perfect chicken tenders shape without the need for any meat. And just like how fried chicken can be soaked in buttermilk, I soaked these mushrooms in a coconut milk mixture with seasoned flour and vegan hot sauce. This helps to make each bite have that juicy texture underneath all that crunch.
Finishing off the Sandwich
After the pieces are soaked, dip them in flour and fry until they have that delicious crisp. Your eyes will definitely be fooled when you’re flipping the pieces, but just keep reminding yourself it’s not chicken! Let the mushroom pieces cool off before adding it to a bun with spicy vegan mayo and crisp pickles. Remember the check the label for the bun to make sure it’s vegan, otherwise it won’t truly be a Vegan Popeyes Chicken Sandwich.
- 2 pounds of oyster mushrooms
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. hot sauce
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 2½ cups vegetable oil
- Season flour with paprika, salt, garlic powder, onion powder and oregano.
- In a separate bowl mix coconut milk, hot sauce and ¼ cup of seasoned flour.
- Wash and dry oyster mushrooms and soak in coconut milk mixture.
- Then dip and coat in flour.
- Heat oil to 350˚F degrees or to medium high.
- Cook oyster mushrooms for about 2 minutes on both sides or until crispy golden brown.
- Repeat process with 3-4 mushrooms at a time.
- Add to cooling rack and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with toasted bun, vegan mayo mixed with hot sauce and sliced pickles.