When thinking of something to serve for Halloween, anything in a cauldron makes sense, but I bet you never thought of putting a smoothie in one! My Witches Cauldron Smoothie Bowl combines a few of my family’s favorite things to make one fun treat for Halloween. And because I’m using some fruits in the smoothie, the vitamins can help balance out all of the sugar from this sweet holiday.
This recipe is another one that I shared with Disney to help spread some fun Halloween treats. I asked my daughters for some ideas on what I can make, and when they immediately said boba, the inspiration kicked in! I thought more about what drink I could make and then how I could serve it, and then the bubbling cauldron came to mind…a bubble tea smoothie bowl!
The star of this recipe is the boba of course, and if you haven’t ever made them at home before, now is the time to learn. If your family is anything like mine, boba is a frequent request but we can’t go out to get it each time, so I started making it myself. It’s very simple in fact: just boil the tapioca boba pearls until they float, remove from water and then add in hot water and brown sugar. If you knew it was that easy, you’d make them more at home too!
To make the smoothie, I wanted to have something that reminds me of a witches brew, and the color that came to mind is green of course! I love smoothies with a banana base for some texture and slight sweetness, in addition to some potassium. To give it that green color I used avocado and matcha powder. You may question using avocado in a smoothie, but believe me, avocados are a common ingredient in Asian drinks. Aside from adding a creamy texture, avocados also have healthy fats! So aside from being tasty and just a tad bit spooky, this Witches Cauldron Smoothie Bowl can also serve as a fun and healthy spell!
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup tapioca boba pearls
- ¼ cup hot water
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 bananas, frozen
- 1 avocado, peeled and seed removed
- 4 tbsp. condensed milk
- 2 tsp. matcha powder, with more for garnish
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup ice
- Bring water to boil in small saucepan. Add boba and boil for 5 minutes or until the boba floats to
- the top and turns from brown to black. Drain and pour into small bowl. Add ¼ cup hot water and
- mix in brown sugar until completely dissolved. Set aside.
- Add banana, avocado, condensed milk, matcha powder, milk, and ice to food processor or
- blender. Blend until thick and creamy.
- Pour smoothie mix into a black bowl, top with boba and dust with more matcha powder.