After my girls tried these Watermelon Smoothies with Boba that I made, I’ve been saving myself from after-school trips to the local bubble tea shop- and sparing all of us from a sugar overload. I love it when they get a good dose of vitamins but really think it’s a treat! That’s because no one can resist a cold and juicy watermelon on a hot day, and by adding boba it just makes it so much more fun to make healthy choices this summer. The key is finding a sweet watermelon, premium tapioca pearls for the bubbles, and most important, the boba straws!
I recommend Bolle tapioca pearls because they have the least ingredients in them- and they’re most recognizable. Some tapioca pearls are made with ingredients that I can’t even pronounce! This boba turns out nice and chewy, which is a great compliment to the soft and slushy watermelon. You can add honey to sweeten the boba, but with a sweet watermelon, you may not need to.
Once you get a bag of boba, you’re stuck with it because a little goes a long way. In that case, it may be a good idea to invite over your friends and family for a potluck BBQ so you can serve up Watermelon Smoothies with Boba to everyone!
Watch my video to see how I made the Watermelon Smoothies with Boba with my girls!
- 4-5 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- ½ cup uncooked tapioca pearls (linked above)
- Honey (optional)
- Boba Straws
- Boil a large pot of water and add tapioca pearls. Keep on a boil on low heat for 20 minutes while stirring frequently. Remove from heat and leave covered for 25 minutes.
- Drain the tapioca pearls while reserving a few tablespoons of liquid to prevent sticking. You can add 1 tbsp. of honey to sweeten.
- In a blender, mix ice and cubed watermelon until smooth.
- Add a few scoops of boba to your cup and top with watermelon smoothie. Enjoy!