I first made Traditional Sinigang a few weeks ago and now I’m obsessed with it. Quite a few of my followers suggested I use seafood instead of pork so I made Seafood Sinigang this time around. I must say I think I like the seafood sinigang better and it cut the cooking time in half. With the pork ribs I had to double cook the meat and make sure it was tender. I used shrimp and crab for my seafood which cooks in under 5 minutes.
For my vegetables I have daikon, mustard greens, frozen okra, tomatoes, and green beans. You can add spinach, Chinese eggplant and kale.
- 2 pounds of shrimp peeled deveined
- 2 pounds of snow crab legs (you can also do mussels)
- 11/2 packets Knorr Tamarind Soup
- 1 bag frozen okra
- 3-4 handfuls of mustard greens
- 1 medium daikon
- 3 roma tomatoes
- 3 cups green beans
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tbsp. sugar (optional if soup is too sour for your taste)
- Add 16 cups of water in large pot and bring to boil with fish sauce and tamarind powder. I suggest using 1½ packets first and adding the remaining if need be. Some like it more sour than others. Add onions and tomatoes and let boil with pork for 10 minutes. Then add daikon and boil for additional 5 minutes. Add green beans, mustard greens and okra. Simmer for another 10 minutes before lastly adding the shrimp and crab. Snow crab is already cooked so it just needs to be reheated in the pot for 5 minutes with the shrimp. Make sure to rinse crab thoroughly before adding to the pot. Serve with rice or just eating on it's own.