One pan meals are some of my favorite things to make, and this One Pan Turmeric Chicken and Rice has been in heavy rotation at home. People also have been messing and DMing me telling me how much they love it so I’m glad it’s a fave in other people’s homes too! What’s not to love about it? It’s easy to make, full of flavor (and beautiful colors), and clean up is quick!
The Convenience of One Pan Meals
Let’s first discuss how One Pan Turmeric Chicken and Rice is so convenient to make- it saves time cooking and it’s less hassle. While I love cooking, it can get tiring to clean up especially after a long day. But if it’s just one pan to worry about, it’s not so daunting. I use my favorite pan for this meal, the 12″ Hybrid Pan from Hexclad. Since it’s nonstick, clean up is even easier!
Turmeric: The Star of This Dish
The highlight of this dish is definitely the turmeric. First, we can all agree that it makes a dish so beautiful with the vibrant yellow color. But more important is how healthy it is. Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory, a potent antioxidant and has a subtle flavor so you can add it to many dishes without changing the flavor. As you can see, only 1 tablespoon goes a long way in transforming this dish, both for health and for looks. Plus, when you season using more herbs and spices, instead of relying on salt, you also end up with a healthier dish!
Adapting for a Larger Meal
This One Pan Turmeric Chicken and Rice is a recipe that everyone in the family will love. The ingredients listed is a great dinner for two, but it can easily be changed to a family meal by adding a few more pieces of chicken and more rice. I think you may want to do that just so you can have leftovers of this tasty meal.
- 2-3 bone in chicken thighs
- ¼ tsp. Paprika
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp. Avocado oil
- ⅓ cup diced carrots
- ⅓ cup diced celery
- ⅓ cup diced onions
- 1 tbsp. Minced garlic
- 2 ¼ cup chicken stock
- 1 cup rinsed white rice
- 2 cups cut mushrooms
- 1 tbsp. Turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. Black pepper
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- 1 tbsp. Lemon juice
- Season chicken on both sides with paprika, salt and pepper. In a large pan heat avocado oil to medium high heat and place chicken skin side down.
- Cook for 2 minutes to sear and flip over.
- Add carrots, celery, onions and garlic.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes, pour in ¾ cups chicken stock and cover with a lid for 8-10 minutes.
- Add rice, remaining chicken stock, turmeric, salt and pepper.
- Cover with a lid and cook for another 8-10 minutes or until rice is fully cooked.
- Turn off heat and mix in butter and lemon juice.