Since my weight loss challenge in June, I’ve been eating somewhat whole30 and been maintaining my weight, but I’m back on my diet plan after the holiday binge starting with my Chicken Fajita Bowls. I know everyone is super motivated to eat healthy and start a diet because of Resolutions, so meal prepping has always worked for me.
I love fajitas and usually so does everyone else at the Mexican restaurants. Don’t you just love smell of the sizzling plate as it heads from the kitchen to the table? Now you can make your own fajitas without the need for a sizzling plate or even tortillas. Just try my Chicken Fajita Bowls and you’ll have all of those familiar flavors from your own kitchen to the table.
What’s great about my Chicken Fajita Bowls is that the flavors build up from the bottom up.
Starting with a base of cilantro lime brown rice, then building up to protein-packed black beans, marinated chicken, caramelized veggies, and fresh toppings like avocado and tomatoes, these Chicken Fajita Bowls will fill you up with wholesome foods that will keep your energy going.
My Chicken Fajita Bowls are great for meal prepping because this recipe can easily be divided into 4-5 servings and put into containers. I like to use glass meal prep containers because of the separate compartments and it’s easy and safe to heat up. The bright colors and layered flavors will bring some fun to your new diet.
- ½ cup avocado oil
- 3 limes
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp. Oregano
- 1 tsp. Chili powder
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch strips
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 3 bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 tomato, diced
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, lime juice, cumin, oregano, chili powder, and red pepper flakes. Lightly season the chicken with salt and pepper, then add to bowl and thoroughly coat. Cover the bowl and marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes or longer.
- While the chicken is marinating, prepare the cilantro lime brown rice: In small non-stick pot add rice and 1 cup water. Bring to boil and then simmer with lid for 12 minutes or until rice is fluffy. Add juice of 1 lime, cilantro, and garlic. Stir and leave uncovered.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a cast iron pan or large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook thoroughly for about 10 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of water to the pan and add bell peppers and onion. Stir frequently and cook for about 8 minutes until soft and slightly caramelized.
- To build the bowl, add ¼ cup Cilantro Lime Brown Rice. Top with chicken, bell peppers, avocados, tomatoes, ¼ cup black beans, and 1 tsp. Greek yogurt. Garnish with lime.