Starting my mornings off with a low carb meal like this Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Breakfast has been totally game-changing for me. Last year, I committed to a 6 week challenge to work out 5 days a week and changed my diet to less carbs and higher protein. The results since then have stuck and I’ve now implemented those changes into my everyday life. I’ve really taken my time to create more low carb recipes that I love, and while I’m at it, might as well make sure the recipes also fall into the keto, Whole30, gluten-free, and vegetarian diets too! And this beautiful dish fits right into all of those diets!
My Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Breakfast looks like a fancy dish from a hip brunch restaurant, but I love that you can easily make this at home. I first started by pan-frying a whole Portabello Mushroom, and then topped it with sauteed spinach and red bell peppers, straight from my mother-in-law’s garden. These toppings not only add beautiful color to this dish, it also provides more fiber and vitamin C to help you start off the day on the right note.
It wouldn’t be a photo-worthy breakfast without an egg on top, so I poached one for that extra yolk look. I know that poaching eggs might seem intimidating, but my directions are so easy and I promise you’ll get better with time! If you can’t do the poached egg, a fried egg on top would be just as good, and you’re still getting in that protein for your first meal.
What I love most about this Portobello Mushroom Breakfast is that it’s a hearty meal that keeps me full and energized until lunchtime, without a load of carbs. Plus, it’s a keto-friendly breakfast that’s vegetarian, because sometimes, a whole lot of bacon in the morning is just not my mood for the day. Try this for your next Meatless Monday and start your week off right!
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. white vinegar
- Remove stem from mushroom. With a small spoon gently scrap away dark ribs.
- Season mushrooms with ¼ tsp. salt and pepper.
- In large skillet heat olive oil to medium heat and place mushrooms smooth side down.
- Cook for 3 minutes and flip over.
- Add sliced red bell peppers and cook for 2 minutes before cooking spinach for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- In small sauce pan heat water to simmer and add vinegar. Swirl water and drop in egg one at a time.
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes for a medium poached egg. Your can also fry egg.
- Place mushroom smooth side down and start toping with cooked veggies and poached eggs.
- Season with remaining salt and pepper.