Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream is perfect for a hot Summer day. If you never had vegan ice cream before I understand your hesitation. I mean, how is it possible to make creamy ice cream with out the cream? Well all I did was swap out the dairy cream with full fat coconut milk. Coconut milk is so rich and creamy it was the perfect substitute. This is a true story. My mother in law drops in for a visit at least once a week. She happened to stop by when my ice cream was done. I asked her to sample some and she swore it tasted like sweet coffee. She even asked me to make her a pint next time. Then I told her it was vegan and she was so shocked. I made Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream, but you can even add froze fruit to kick it up a notch.
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk (13.5 FL OZ)
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 ½ tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean stalk
- 2 tablespoons of coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Step 1: In a large bowl add coconut milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, coconut sugar and salt.
- Step 2: Cut vanilla bean stick in half and scrape out paste with knife.
- Step 3: Add vanilla paste to bowl and mix all ingredients with a whisk.
- Step 4: Turn on your ice cream maker and have it already churning. Slowly pour contents into frozen cylinder and churn for 30-45 minutes or until ice cream reaches thick consistency.
Suggestions: Let me beat you to the punch because I know you’re wondering what ice cream maker I have. I used a Cuisinart with a detachable cylinder
you can place in the freezer to freeze instead of adding ice. You can shop for it here.
Honestly, you really don’t need a fancy ice cream maker if you don’t want to shell out the money for it. You can easily freeze this in a large freezer bag and it will come out fine, but it will be a little tougher to scoop out. You can also pour your ice cream mixture in a large tray and cover with plastic wrap to avoid freezer burn.