I was so excited when Disney Parks released their famous Disney Churros Recipe that I had to recreate it for myself! The family and I have had major Disney withdrawals and these making Homemade Disney Churros was the touch of Disney Magic we needed. As you can see from our Disneyland Food Tour, the famous Disney Churros made quite a few appearances. Here is how to make Disney Churros at home! The one thing I did not have was a pastry bag and I improvised with a plastic ziplock and cut the tip off. The Churros I made may not have the exact shape, but it still tasted the same! I’m also sure there is a healthy version of Disney Churros in the works for me in the future, but for my first attempt I decided to stick to the original recipe from The Disney Parks Blog.
I made my Disney Churros the length of a finger. When squeezing the dough from your makeshift bag, make sure you cut the opening small to have small churros. I found the thick ones would be crispy on the outside, but undercooked and mushy inside. By sticking to the length and width of my fingers seemed to be the perfect size. I suggest squeezing when squeezing out your tube size churro to use scissors to cut evenly.
Before Rolling my Disney Churros in Cinnamon and Sugar, I took them out of the hot oil and placed them on a cookie cooling rack. This allowed the churros to cool a bit, but also let excess oil drip away. I don’t know about you, but I prefer warm churros so I only had mine cooling for a few minutes before rolling in cinnamon and sugar.
I must say that Disney Churros are delicious on their own, but to bring it to the next level I made a chocolate and cream cheese dipping sauce. The consensus in the house was that the chocolate sauce was good, but the favorite was the cream cheese sauce.
Here’s how to make the Chocolate Sauce! In a small sauce pan melt 1 tbsp. butter and whisk in 2 tbsp. heavy cream on low heat. Then add 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips whisk until mixed and dissolved. Remove from heat and cool.
Here’s how to make the Cream Cheese Sauce! In a small sauce pan melt 1 tbsp. butter and whisk 2 tbsp. cream cheese and 2 tbsp. heavy cream on low heat. Then add 1/4 cup of powdered sugar and whisk until dissolved. Remove from heat and cool.
- 1 cup water
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable or canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- Combine water, butter, salt, and 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon in 1 1⁄2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Bring pot to rolling boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add flour and stir vigorously until mix forms a ball. Remove from heat and let rest for 5-7 min.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and stir until combined. Set aside.
- Heat oil in medium skillet or 1-quart saucepan over medium-high heat or until temperature reaches 350 ̊.
- Spoon dough into piping bag fitted with large star tip. Pipe 1-inch strip of dough over saucepan, cut with knife, and drop into hot oil. Repeat until churro bites fill saucepan with room to fry.
- Fry churro bites until golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon or mesh spider strainer.
- Drain churro bites on paper towel.
- Mix sugar and 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon in medium bowl. Toss in churro bites until coated. Place on serving plate and serve with favorite dipping sauce.