I’m the last person the discourage anyone from dessert, but with my Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups, I’m actually encouraging you to save room for dessert! These sweet treats are a great way to round up a healthy meal, and the best part is that they’re a healthier option with fresh fruit and less sugar. If chocolate peanut butter cups are one of your go-to treats, rethink your favorite sweets and give this a try.
Most people think that chocolate automatically tips the unhealthy scale, but in my opinion, if you choose dark chocolate and whole ingredients, like my Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups, then there’s no harm in indulging. Dark chocolate is an antioxidant, and when you know the ingredients that you’re adding are healthy too, then why not treat yourself to something sweet without all the guilt?
I always thought that making peanut butter cups would be difficult, but after some trial and error, I found that silicon ice cube trays make this dessert pretty easy. I really appreciate how easy it was to pop out the chocolate from the trays after cooling down because it gave a clean look to the cups. Plus, the ice cube trays are deeper than your typical peanut butter cup, so you can fill the cup up with a bite-size piece of fruit. And if there’s fruit in dessert, it gives you all the reason to enjoy it even more. Natural sugars in fruit still satisfy those sweet cravings…and they look good too!
- 1½ cups dark chocolate morsels
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1 banana
- 4 strawberries
- Simmer water in a medium pan and place a large bowl over it. Pour dark chocolate morels in bowl and gently stir while the steam melts the chocolate.
- In a silicone ice cube tray add dark spoon in melted chocolate and coat all sides thickly.
- Warm peanut butter for 20 seconds in microwave for it to be more runny.
- Place it in a ziplock bag and cut a small tip off.
- Squeeze peanut butter half way in dark chocolate cup and add a whole strawberry. Fill more peanut butter and top with chocolate.
- Repeat with all strawberries and sliced banana.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes and then pop them out of the silicone ice cube tray.