I made this Apple Pie Oatmeal because I’ve been craving apple pie like crazy. I had a big slice on Thanksgiving and I can’t stop thinking about it. What I love most is the sweet apple filling and not so much the crust. I thought of this oatmeal recipe to see if I could satisfy at least the craving for the apple filling. The scent of the caramelized apples in a little brown sugar and nutmeg had my mouthwatering when making it. The oatmeal and the apple filling was nice and warm. I had it with a cup of coffee and it was perfect breakfast comforting breakfast on a cold day. I used rolled oats, but you can also used steal cut oats.
This is the perfect recipe to meal prep. Make a lot and store in the fridge in individual mason jars. You can heat it at work or a quick breakfast at home.
- 2 medium apples (chopped)
- 2 cups rolled oats or steel cut
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1½ tbsp. butter or coconut oi
- 1½ tbsp. light brown sugar
- In small pot simmer oats in 2½ cups of water until oats soften and expand, about 7-8 minutes.
- In medium pan melt butter on medium heat and add apples. Cook for 4-5 minutes until apples soften and add sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Cook and stir until apples caramelized about 2-3 minutes.