- 14oz package firm organic tofu
- 1 head of lettuce
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 large cucumber
- a handful of cilantro
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil or olive oil
- 6-8 sheets of rice paper (size 22 cm) Three Ladies Spring Roll Rice Paper Wrappers (Round 22cm 3pks)2 tbsp. peanut butter
- 2 tbsp. hoisin sauce Lee Kum Kee Hoisin Sauce, 20 oz ⅓ cup almond milk
- Drain liquid from tofu container and with paper towels press gently on tofu to absorb liquid. Slice tofu about 6-8 even pieces.
- He large pan heat oil to medium heat and add slice tofu. Cook on each side for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Slice red peppers and cucumbers.
- Dip rice paper in cold water and place on plate. Rice paper should still be hard and will soften in less than a minute. Place a leaf of lettuce, slice cucumber, sliced red pepper and a few sprigs of cilantro and wrap.
- For sauce mix in peanut butter, hoisin sauce and milk. (May have to add more milk for depending on your desired consistency)
This past weekend I made made Vegetarian Springs Rolls as appetizer at a bbq I was hosting. It’s crunchy, fresh and light. Actually, my whole table was a vegan spread for some carnivore eaters. Much better than serving chips and dip. My appetizer spread consisted of Chili Garlic Infused Edamame, Tofu Spring Rolls and a big bowl of cherries. My guest were pleasantly surprised about how delicious everything was and even requested the recipe for my peanut sauce and chili garlic sauce. I still bbq chicken and steak because my hubby requested it, but it was nice to see that the vegan dishes were demolished too.
The Peanut Sauce is simply peanut butter, hoisin sauce and almond milk. You can also use regular milk, cashew, soy or coconut milk. I find that depending on the consistency you want you can gradually mix in more an more milk and my suggested measurement is more to my liking.