My comfort food is steaming bowl of Vietnamese Seafood Pho. The hot broth, with the delicate rice noodles, fresh seafood and fragrant herbs reminds makes my house smell like moms! I love Vietnamese Seafood Pho because it’s so filling and light. Most ingredients can be found in the International Isle at your grocery store, but I really recommend trying your local Asian grocery store because ingredients are easier to find. Not to mention a lot cheaper!
The rich aroma of the Pho broth comes from the spice bag I simmer in the broth. In it I add a cinnamon stick, cloves, star anise, fennel seeds and coriander seeds.
Vietnamese Seafood Pho is not complete without the fresh herbs we add to our bowl of hot noodle soup. I love Thai Basil and Cilantro in mine.
Shrimp and Crab makes this Pho complete. Squeeze little lime juice, add some hoisin sauce, a little kick with Sriracha sauce and start slurping away!
- Ingredients for Broth:
- 48oz of Vegetable or Chicken stock
- 4 cups of water
- 1 oz ginger (cut in half)
- 1 small onion (cut in half)
- 2 oz spice cloth bag, fennels seeds, cinnamon sticks, coriandor seeds, star anise. You can buy this pre-packaged at most Asian markets or get it individually in the spice isle.
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- Ingredients for noodle soup:
- 1 pound shrimp (peeled, deveined)
- 1 pound crab (or imitation crab)
- one bag 16oz rice stick noodles (pho noodles)
- handful thai basil
- handful of cilantro
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- green onion (sliced)
- 2 limes
- Hoison sauce and Sriracha sauce as condiment
- For broth, add all ingredients to large part. Bring to boil and down to simmer.
- For noodles, drop in boiling hot water for 30 seconds, stir a bit and drain. Rinse immediately under cold water.
- For seafood, drop the shrimp in boiling water for 1 minute and drain. Imitation crab is found in the freezer section and is already pre-cooked, needs to be defrosted.
- To plate in bowl, add a big handful of rice noodles, top with shrimp, crab, bean sprouts, green onion and pour hot broth over. Then add fresh basil, cilantro and lime juice. (optional, mix in tsp. hoisin sauce and Sriracha sauce)