I think having snacks throughout the day is a big key component to keeping a healthy balanced diet. The purpose of snacks is to keep you satisfied until your next meal so that you don’t over indulge. The problem with going too long without eating is that your blood sugar levels will drop and will cause hunger and cravings for sugary foods. By skipping a snack and going straight to a big meal will lead to a vicious cycle of over eating. That mid-afternoon crash a lot of people feel after a big lunch is actually caused by a fast rise in blood sugar levels and a fast drop blood sugar levels. This is the time when we reach for the candy bar or cookie because of our sugar crash. To avoid this temptation and eating big portions we should be including healthy snacks in between meals. This Spring CVS Pharmacy is adding more than 250 healthy foods and beverages to their shelves. Check out the the video below for a few good finds in the store for your mid-morning snack attack like almond butter with apples for some healthy fats and fiber, a handful of dried cranberries for that sweet tooth, Go Raw sprouted and Greek Yogurt bars when you’re on the go. Quick tip always have a emergency snack bar in your purse, you never no when you might need it. I’ve been stuck in traffic before and thank goodness I had a snack in my purse to save me before dinner. It was a total lifesaver!
Ok parents, I know you feel me on this pet peeve. Do you ever go grocery shopping with the kids in tow and when checking out your kids are begging for candy bar from the snacks at check out? Or do you feel hungry after the hour of grocery shopping and see all the tempting unhealthy snacks while waiting in line? Well you can now avoid that at CVS Pharmacy because 25 percent of their front checkout space will now offer Better-for-you-snacks. So when your child asks for a snack and you’re hungry too, grab a Lara bar instead of that chocolate bar. There is something to satisfy any dietary need from paleo, raw and vegan in select locations.
I know to some being healthy can be somewhat intimidating. I get a lot of inquiries on what to eat or what’s actually healthy. My advice is always read your nutrition facts and ingredients. Try to choose items that are low in sugar. Look for a balance of healthy fats, protein and carbs. CVS Pharmacy has also made it a lot easier to spot healthy items by using their Fit Choice shelf tagging program. Wether your preference is gluten free, sugar free, Organic or Non-GMO, all those items will be clearly identified on the shelves.
Here are a few of my snack hack tips I use for myself and the family.
1. The number one go to snack I have is nuts and seeds. The combination of healthy fats, protein and carbs keeps you satisfied thus reducing hunger and promotes weight loss.
2. As I mentioned before, don’t get caught off guard. Always have a healthy snack in your purse like a Kind bar.
3. Have a light snack 2 to 3 hours after every meal to keep from over eating.
4. Mix and match your favorite snacks so you don’t get bored. I love adding dried cranberries and nuts to my Chobani yogurt. For the kids I make it fun by cutting up assorted fruits and drizzling or dipping in almond butter.
5. When choosing a snack try to find ones low in sugar and high in fiber to help balance your blood sugar.
6. Try to keep snacks between 100-200 calories.
I’m proud to partner with CVS Pharmacy on this post for the CVS healthy foods line. All opinions expressed are my own, and all product claims or program details shared should be verified at cvs.com or with the appropriate manufacturers.